What you need to know about environmental science
Login: pw:
Patient InfoDoctor InfoTreatmentsGreat WebsitesVideos
Back to Mold Testing

How to use Mold lates at home

Lisa Nagy
Dec 31, 1969

MOLD PLATE Instructions:

You may watch the number of colonies at home or pay for a report and speciation .

Air sampling may also be done but is expensive and you need to get some cultures done (never done by IAQ people for some reason), you need to know the species of your mold and then know how dangerous it can be by the toxins it can produce. This is what doctors care about.

Call P and K microbiology at  866 871 1984 and request 5 or 6  MEA plates almost free.

Place in fridge when they arrive. Culture tubes can be used for obvious mold growth, or bulk material may be sent in as well.

Select rooms to test. Outside for comparison, Basement, 1st floor and second etc.

close doors and windows for 6 hours before or longer.

1. open taped plate by using bic pen to go around edge – a knife will slip!

2. leave open on surface in desired room (often basement is the worst)

3. close after one hour and loosely tape or securely.

4. either mail in with form completed putting in settling plate in space and say ‘speciate if necessary’’ in comments.

5. put your visa info in (costs between $35.00 to $100.00 depending on whether speciation) is necessary.

6. you may watch at home at 70 degrees in dark room and then send in -- or send in right away. You may just count colonies at home  to save money.

7. Count colonies and write down number of colors of each.

8. 4 colonies is good - published to be desirable for asthmatics and sensitve people. 10  colonies may be the norm on the island of Martha's Vineyard which has a lot of outdoor mold. 50 is very high

9. When you get your results then google the name of your mold with the word Mycotoxin and see what comes up and read what health effects to expect.  Some mycotoxins lead to cancer, others produce neurologic problems, burning of the skin etc.

10. If you look at the color of the colonies you can follow the mold in the basement up through the rest of the house by the colors.  By paying for testing in the worst rooms you can draw conclusions by the colors how much of those molds are in the other rooms as well.

11. Air sampling for genus only is inadeqate for your doctor. You should know the species of the mold that made you sick. Ask for cultures of the worst rooms if you hire someone to test!

 

Your doctor is best to interpret how toxic your molds are. Your symptoms are the best indicator if they were making  toxins or not.  My feeling is that molds that arise from water damage or leak are often toxigenic so presume they are if you had water damage. Dusty houses with mild humidity issues are less likely to have toxic molds that would make you deathly ill. This is just a layman's way of looking at your situation. Black, wet carpeting or rotten ceilings and insulation can be lethal - handle with care and even N 95 masks are not adequate to filter out all toxins.

   

    Do not remediate your own place.  Supervise that it is done with extreme care from afar!

 

Your donations help:


Lisa Nagy M. D.
Tel: 508 693 1300
email: VPM@nagy1.com

Site Map - Site Search - Home